It’s summertime, which means it’s prime time to hit the water! And if you’re a fan of water sports, paddleboarding is one activity worth trying out, especially along the Lowcountry’s coast and the tranquil May River.
Whether you just want to get your feet wet or bask in the beautiful summer sun on the water, below is your ultimate guide to paddleboarding in the Lowcountry!
Paddleboarding Classes in the Lowcountry
If you’re new to paddleboarding, you’re in luck! Being located on the coast of South Carolina means that the Lowcountry has plenty of paddleboarding classes to offer, including:
Outside Palmetto Bluff
Outside Palmetto Bluff hosts a 1 ½ hour stand-up paddling course that introduces novices to basic paddling strokes, equipment, and safety. The class comes with equipment and a qualified paddling instructor, so all you need for the class is your swim gear!
Note: Outside Palmetto Bluff is currently closed to the public due to COVID-19; only existing members and guests can currently sign up for paddleboarding courses. We recommend checking their website for regular updates on reopening and class availability.
Fusion Fit Gym
Fusion Fit Gym in Bluffton offers regular paddleboarding lessons for beginners. In the 2-hour class, knowledgeable instructors will guide new paddlers through basic strokes and paddling safety on land before hitting the water. The course comes with gear, so no rentals are required.
Sign up for a 1-on-1 lesson, or learn with a group!
On Hilton Head Island, H20 Sports offers 1-hour paddleboarding classes led by experienced instructors, all of which end with you confidently floating along the Calibogue Sound and nearby marshes. H20 Sports is a shop that sells and rents out water sports equipment, so even if you don’t own paddling gear, they have you covered.
Where to Rent Paddleboard Gear in the Lowcountry
If you already have some paddleboarding experience but don’t own your own gear just yet, there are a few local shops that offer paddleboarding equipment rentals:
Paddleboarding Activities in the Lowcountry
From paddle-fused fitness classes to a relaxing float down the May River, various paddleboarding activities are available in the Lowcountry—fun for families, couples, and the adventurous single alike!
If your regular exercise routine is starting to feel a little stale, try working out on the water at one of Fusion Fit Gym’s paddle-fused fitness classes! New to paddling? Don’t worry! Their 90-minute classes will introduce you to paddleboarding and various exercises so you can get up on your board and start strengthening your abs and glutes in no time.
If you’re looking for a more laid-back paddling experience, Fusion Fit Gym also offers paddle-fused fit cruises that start at the Bluffton Oyster Company dock in Bluffton and take you along the May River.
For an even more relaxing day on the water, check out the Paddle and Pose Workshops hosted by Move Fitness! Float out to the May River and practice yoga atop your board to destress and strengthen your core. No previous yoga or paddling experience necessary!
If you love being surrounded by nature, you can take advantage of one of many available paddle tours along the coast and Hilton Head Island.
- This 2-hour tour hosted by Outside Palmetto Bluff takes casual paddlers down the coastal salt marsh to explore local flora and fauna. Note: Availability is limited to tides and current water conditions; visit Outside Palmetto Bluff’s website for regular updates.
- Find the unique gems of Hilton Head Island that are normally inaccessible by boat! The Hilton Head Island SUP Tour will take you to Lowcountry marshes, inlets, rivulets, and other waterways, as well as beaches. Explore the vibrant plants and indigenous wildlife in the area in just one hour; paddlers ages 12 and up are welcome!
- Paddle down Skull Creek and explore the Lowcountry’s marshways and wildlife in this guided 1-hour paddleboard tour! Tours launch at 10 am, 12 pm, and 4 pm, and beginners and experienced paddlers over the age of 12 are welcome.
- These paddleboard tours are beginner-friendly and guide paddlers through various saltwater estuaries around Hilton Head to explore wildlife while learning about the island’s history.
Other Paddling Locations in the Lowcountry
If you prefer to have a quiet day on the water alone or an intimate evening with your loved ones, here are some other popular paddling locations worth checking out:
- Wilson’s Landing – Palmetto Bluff
- Broad Creek – Hilton Head Island
- Shelter Cove Marina – Hilton Head Island
- Colleton River – Bluffton
- Trask Landing – Bluffton
- Mackay Creek – Hilton Head
- Pinckney Island Landing – Hilton Head
- May River – Bluffton
- Oyster Factory Park – Bluffton
Paddling is a fun summer activity that is easily accessible when you live in the Lowcountry. Ready to hit the coast? Check out our current listings and find your dream home today!
DOWNLOAD YOUR FREE LOCAL’S GUIDE TO BLUFFTON & HILTON HEAD
Enter your information below to instantly download the Ussery Group’s local guide to Bluffton and Hilton Head Island. Featured inside: our favorite restaurants, activities, shopping areas, 2021 event dates, and more!