Can you feel it in the air? A sense of post-COVID normalcy is returning to the Lowcountry as local municipalities have begun to lift mask-wearing and social distancing restrictions. As a result, summer concerts are back and better than ever this year in Hilton Head, Bluffton, Palmetto Bluff and beyond!
If you’re ready to get back into the swing of things and sway along to the tunes of your favorite performers, here are a few concerts and live music events worth checking out in the Lowcountry the rest of this summer.
Live Music at Burnt Church Distillery (July 15 – July 17, July 23)
Beloved folk music singer and songwriter Owen Plant will be performing at Burnt Church Distillery in Bluffton on July 15th, 2021 from 3 pm to 6 pm. Enjoy a blast from the past with Owen’s classic ‘70s and old-time reggae-influenced hits!
The following day from 3 pm to 6 pm, enjoy music from local singer and songwriter Alan Price. Does the name sound familiar? You may recognize him from his previous guitar work with various bands and groups such as Shinedown, Call Me No One, Madam Adam, and Souls Harbor.
The music doesn’t stop there. Come back on July 17th from 3 pm to 6 pm to listen to music from local folk and country legend Nick Poulin (of Pretty Darn), who will also be performing later this summer as an opener for Oh Jeremiah at The Roasting Room.
Finally, enjoy classic songs from now-Lowcountry native, Matt Eckstine, on July 23rd from 3 pm to 6 pm. Sit back and relax while listening to hits that will remind you of everything you love about living near the coast.
Parrot Palooza Caribbean Concert (through August 19)
For some family-friendly fun, check out the Parrot Palooza Caribbean Concert series at Shelter Cove Harbour. Every Thursday at 7 pm, listen to live music from Shannon Tanner & the Oyster Reefers through August 19th and Labor Day weekend (September 4th and 5th).
Hilton Head Sunset Celebrations (through August 20)
Check out Sunset Celebrations at the Shelter Cove Towne Centre every Friday from 7 pm to 10 pm until August 20th. Bring along a beach chair, blanket, and cooler, and enjoy free live music as the gorgeous Lowcountry sun sets behind you. Who could ask for a better time?
May River Music Festival (September 3 – 4)
Check out headliners Gin Blossoms (Friday) and Mitchell Tenpenny (Saturday) as they each hit the stage at the Montage Palmetto Bluff! Before the main attraction, show up early to enjoy music from opening musical groups SUSTO (Friday) and Lakeview (Saturday).
Live Music at Coligny Plaza (May 28 – September 6)
Until Labor Day, stop by Coligny Plaza to enjoy free, live music seven days a week, from 6:30 to 8:30 pm! Expect to see local Lowcountry artists such as John Cranford and Martin Lesch take the stage.
Each night features different artists, so check out Coligny Plaza’s Facebook page for an updated schedule.
Live Music at Coach’s Corner (All Summer)
If you don’t mind a short trip down to Savannah, Georgia, you’ll also find there are plenty of concerts at local bar and venue Coach’s Corner featuring several tribute bands:
- Chicago Authority (July 24th at 7 pm) – As the name suggests, this tribute band performs some of the band Chicago’s famous songs, including “Make Me Smile” and “Saturday in the Park.”
- Pandora’s Box (July 30th at 7 pm) – This tribute band covers many of Aerosmith’s greatest hits!
- Grand Paradise (August 7th at 7 pm) – Listen to “Come Sail Away,” “The Grand Illusion,” Suite Madame Blue,” and more in honor of the legendary band Styx.
- Interstellar Echoes (August 14th at 7 pm) – Fan of Pink Floyd? Don’t miss out on Interstellar Echoes’ take on some of their famous classics.
- The Petty Hearts (August 27th at 7 pm) – Does the song “Free Fallin’” ring a bell? Then you’re certain to enjoy music from The Petty Hearts, a Tom Petty tribute band!
- Slippery When Wet (September 4th at 7 pm) – If you’re a big Bon Jovi fan, you may recognize and appreciate this tribute band’s name from Bon Jovi’s iconic album, featuring hits such as “Livin’ on a Prayer” and “Wanted Dead or Alive.”
America, 50th Anniversary Concert (September 17th)
Although tribute bands offer great performances, perhaps you’re looking for the real thing. With that said, if you’re a classic rock fan or enjoy music from the band America, save the date for the upcoming America, 50th Anniversary Concert at the Savannah Civic Center starting at 7 pm!
Shows at Victory North (All Summer)
Finally, while you’re in Savannah, check out some of these long-awaited summer shows at Victory North:
- Homegrown Summer Jam (July 15th) – Check out artists from around the Lowcountry, including Jason Bible, Eckstine & Rose, and Aaron Zimmer, with Eric Britt and the Hologram headlining.
- J. Parker, Ltd Presents: Sharp Dressed Men and a Lady (July 22nd) – Featuring Roger Moss, Trae Gurley, Isaiah Johnson, Stacie Orrico, and Kim Steiner.
- Adelitas Way (July 23rd) – Enjoy music from Las Vegas-based alternative rock band Adelitas Way, who just released their fifth album, Notorious!
- Living Colour and Hoobastank (July 26) – Both groups have been featured in Everclear’s 2021 Summerland Tour, but will be making a stop in Savannah for their own live concert.
Note: Doors open at 6 pm, with shows starting at 7 pm.
Whether you want to kick back and relax to the gentle sounds of folk music by the tranquil May River or prefer to rock and roll it out a few towns down, we can safely say that the Lowcountry has got just the music you’re looking for this summer!